Saturday, August 18, 2012

Dinner Rolls




Mimi always had fresh bread. Always. Every meal, (i mean 9 times out of 10) she had fresh rolls, or some sort of yummy bread. In fact, you could almost bet that each dinner had a protein/meat, vegetable side, starchy side and a bread. Now, she had many go to breads that I remember. Monkey bread was always a favorite with us grandkids, 7 grain rolls were one of her favorite and most often made for saturday night dinners at their house, crescent rolls for Christmas and Thanksgiving, sometimes just a plain dinner roll (like this recipe), cornbread, or biscuits. I truly think I am a carboholic because of my mimi. :) haha. I decided the other day that I wanted to make a roast and when you make a roast you can't just cook one for 2 people. I mean, I've tried and we always have so many left overs it is even too much for stew. I feel wasteful. So, I invited mom, dad and pops over for sunday lunch tomorrow and you can't have mimi's roast, potatoes and carrots without having home made rolls. I mean, really. So, here it is! Dinner Rolls. 


Dinner Rolls
Dissolve; 1 pkg yeast
1 Cup warm water
Stir in; 2 T sugar
1 t salt
1 1/4 C sifted flour
Beat until smooth.
Add: 1 egg
2 T soft shortening
Beat in; 1 1/4 C sifted flour
Scrape down sides of bowl and let rise about double. (45 mins)
Roll out and cut into rolls and let rise again 30-40 mins.
Bake for 15-20 min at 400 degrees
makes about 12-18 rolls. 



They are so good and relatively easy! You need a couple of hours from start to finish because of rising time....but the process itself is SUPER EASY! You can clean up during the rise time and then you're all done! :) 
Hope you enjoy! 
blessings,
shaina

No comments:

Post a Comment